I love having a simple recipe that doesn’t take much time to put together, but is nice enough to serve when company’s coming. This is one of those foods I thought I would have to give up when I started a ketogenic diet, but I’m finding that it’s not hard to find replacements for most of the things I miss. This chicken is flavorful, moist, and tender.
makes 4 servings
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ounces bleu cheese
- 4 slices black forest ham
- 8 slices bacon
- 12-15 toothpicks
1. Start by trimming up the breast meat. I separate the 2 halves and trim off excess meat.
2. Carefully slice each breast portion in half lengthwise, like so:
3. After you get it started, lay it open as you finish cutting it in half. Be careful to leave both halves intact. You don’t want to cut all the way through; just enough to lay it open flat.
4. Get all of your ingredients ready. This way you don’t have to worry about cross contamination.
5. Lay a piece of ham on the chicken breast and put cheese in the middle. Here I am using some horseradish Havarti for my spouse, who doesn’t care for bleu cheese.
6. This is what you have so far: cheese on ham on chicken.
7. Fold ham over cheese.
8. Then fold other side of ham over.
9. Carefully fold chicken in two, covering ham. Take a piece of bacon and gently stretch it by pulling on both ends. Beginning at one end, begin to wrap chicken.
10. Continue to wrap chicken to opposite end.
11. Once you have wrapped around the chicken, take second piece of bacon and wrap end to end. Secure with toothpicks as needed.
12. Place wrapped chicken in an oven proof skillet (I like using cast iron) that has been greased with butter, coconut oil, or bacon grease.
13. Preheat oven to 325°F. In skillet over medium heat, brown bacon on all 4 sides.
14. Remove pan from stove top and place in oven. Cook for 45 minutes or until chicken is done. Let sit for 10 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
Carb counts are based on the bleu cheese.
Some alternate ideas are:
- Use cream cheese instead of bleu cheese
- Use pepperoni instead of ham
This makes four servings with these macros per serving: 294.75 Calories, 14.68g Fat, 0.64g Carbs, 37.69g Protein
|Bacon Wrapped Chicken Cordon Bleu||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts||568||12.28||0||0||0||106.71|
|2 ounces blue cheese||200||16.3||1.33||0||1.33||12.13|
|4 slices black forest ham||56||2.1||0.36||0||0.36||8.76|
|8 slices bacon||355||28.04||0.87||0||0.87||23.15|
Recipe by ruled.me