I grew up in a small farm town, and one of our staple foods as a child was beef. My grandmother would throw seared beef into a lot of her inventive dishes that gave us plenty of protein and vitamins. As an adult, I love to pair it with some greens and sparkling water. I think this dish would be great for a date night, or for a family night when there’s no rush to finish what’s on your plate. It’s aromatic, warm, and invades your taste buds with all of the spices and textures.
There’s quite a bit of prep time with preparing garlic and beef, as well as getting the iron skillet to the right temperature. You can replace the ghee with another animal fat of your choice. My family sears beef with lard, but you could also try bacon grease or duck fat.
Yields 6 servings of Beef Salpicao.
- 6 medium cloves garlic
- 4 ½ tablespoons salted butter
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds rib eye, boneless
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Preheat cast iron pan and separate pan on a stove. Do not add oil to the cast iron pan, it needs to be dry and very hot.
2. Mince garlic. Split into two portions and set aside.
3. Slice rib eye into strips.
4. In a bowl, mix the first half of minced garlic, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
5. Add ribeye strips to the bowl with the spice mix and toss to evenly season.
6. Let rib eye and spice mix sit for 5 minutes to marinade.
7. Add ghee to the bowl and toss to coat the beef strips.
8. In a separate pan, fry the remaining half of minced garlic in olive oil.
9. Set aside the pan to cool once the minced garlic is brown and crisp.
10. Place ribeye strips into cast iron pan to sear.
11. Turn once one side of the beef is brown and slightly charred.
12. Once the other side is seared, add the butter and Worcestershire sauce.
13. Let the butter melt then toss to coat the beef strips evenly. Top with fried garlic.
This makes 6 servings of Beef Salpicao. Each serving comes out to be 540.38 Calories, 41.9g Fats, 3.67g Net Carbs, and 37.95g Protein.
|Beef Salpicao||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|6 medium cloves garlic||27||0.1||6||0.4||5.6||1.1|
|4 ½ tablespoons salted butter||458||52||0||0||0||0.5|
|4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce||53.3||0||13.3||0||13.3||0|
|2 pounds rib eye, boneless||2457||172.3||0||0||0||225.3|
|1/2 tablespoon garlic powder||16||0||3.5||0.4||3.1||0.8|
|1 tablespoon ghee||112||13||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil||119||14||0||0||0||0|
Recipe by ruled.me