New medical research has shown that adequate intake of calcium and/or vitamin D may actually help reduce the occurrence of breast cancer.
- Women with the highest intakes of calcium from both diet and supplements were 39 percent less likely to develop breast cancer than those with the lowest intake.
- Women with the highest intake of vitamin D were 35 percent less likely to develop breast cancer.
- Women who were taking both Vitamin D and calcium supplements had a 60 percent lower risk of developing breast cancer, compared to patients taking placebos.
Observational study, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine1, analyzed data on diet and supplement use of more than 10,000 pre-menopausal and 20,000 post-menopausal healthy, initially cancer-free women age 45 years or older, who participated in the Women’s Health Study.
- Above statements and claims were published by Season Solorio, Director of Public Relations Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN) based on this research study.
Where do we get Vitamin D?
- The skin makes vitamin D from ultraviolet light. Too much sunlight can raise the risk of skin cancer, but small amounts – 15 minutes or so a few times a week without sunscreen – may be beneficial.
- Vitamin D is in salmon and other oily fish, and milk is routinely fortified with it.
- Vitamin D supplements are another way to get your daily dose of Vitamin D.
Daily Recommendations for Vitamin D based on the Institute of Medicine (IOM):
(Note, the IOM will issue updated Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin D in the summer of 2010)
- Children – 200 IU’s per day.
- Adults up to age 50 – 400 IU’s per day.
- Adults ages 50-71 – 600 IU’s per day.
Top Care Offers “Quality” Calcium and Vitamin D Supplements:
(Top Care Vitamin D is in the forms of cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), the most naturally occurring form of Vitamin D.)
- 600mg Calcium with 400 IU Vitamin D (swallowable and chewable)
- Vitamin D 400 IU tabs
- Vitamin D 1,000 IU tabs
* Make sure to consult with your physician before incorporating new supplements to your diet.
Spartan Stores Top Care