There are a few foods that I have never been able to bring myself to buy pre-made. Guacamole is one because the amount of work involved is worth the fresh taste. The other is potato salad. Why would I buy a pre-made potato salad that I eventually doctor up by adding more spices, more mustard, and more time when I could have just prepared it myself?
Well, in theory anyway. Sure, I hate buying potato salad but nine times out of ten I wouldn’t actually make it either because it is time consuming! Anyone who has ever made fresh potato salad knows there is a fine line between under cooked taters and mashed potato salad. No thanks. Luckily, since I’ve been enlightened in the ways of ketogenic living I’ve also fell in love with “potato salad” all over again and now it’s easier than ever!
The beauty about swapping out the starchy root vegetable for cauliflower florets is in the cooking and prep time. No more peeling and boiling potatoes that need time to cool and rest before you’ve found that you have over or under cooked them. Cauliflower is a three minute cook process, just enough to soften slightly, and it cools quickly so you can go from raw ingredients to creamy keto “potato” salad in no time.
I bet your barbecue guests won’t even notice that you made this simple salad side dish in ten minutes and cut the carbs down to nearly nothing! Try serving this with our bbq pork ribs.
Yields 6 (1-cup) servings of Creamy Keto Potato Salad
- 1 large cauliflower
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, note*
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dill, fresh
- 2 stalks green onions, thinly sliced
*Reserve 2 yolks then dice the rest.
1. Prepare the cauliflower by cutting the head into bite sized florets and steaming in a silicone steamer (as shown) for 3-4 minutes or in a stovetop steamer until the cauliflower is only slightly tender. Set aside to cool.
2. Make the dressing by whisking together sour cream, mayo, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, and salt.
3. Mash the two reserved yolks into the cream mixture and whisk until very smooth.
4. Add the cooled cauliflower, boiled eggs, celery, onion and dill. Stir to coat.
5. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to allow the cauliflower to completely cool and the flavors to melt together. Garnish with green onion and serve cold!
This makes a total of 6 (1-cup) servings of Creamy Keto Potato Salad. Each serving comes out to be 234.33 Calories, 19.53g Fat, 5.61g Net Carbs, and 7.69g Protein.
|Creamy Keto “Potato” Salad||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 large (840 g) cauliflower||210||2.35||41.75||16.8||24.95||16.13|
|¼ cup sour cream||114||11.13||2.66||0||2.66||1.4|
|½ cup mayonnaise||748||82.33||0.63||0||0.63||1.06|
|2 tablespoons white vinegar||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tablespoon mustard||9||0.5||0.87||0.6||0.27||0.56|
|1 teaspoon celery seeds||25||1.64||2.69||0.8||1.89||1.17|
|4 large eggs||286||19.02||1.44||0||1.44||25.12|
|½ cup diced celery||8||0.09||1.5||0.8||0.7||0.35|
|1 teaspoon fresh dill||0||0||0.1||0||0.1||0.1|
|2 stalks green onions||6||0.11||1.38||0.4||0.98||0.23|
Recipe by ruled.me