- Wrap ice in a moist towel. Use an ice pack, crushed ice or cubes.
- Apply ice directly over the area the doctor adjusted.
- Leave ice on up to 20 minutes – DO NOT leave ice on for more than 20 minutes, as an adverse reaction may occur.
- Leave ice off up to 1 hour.
- Repeat at least 3 times during the day (more for severe pain.)
Benefits of Ice:
Decrease inflammation (swelling)
4 Stages of Response during Ice:
- Aching (initially it can make icing very uncomfortable but this will pass_
- Numbness (within 5 minutes of starting)