I love using the Instant Pot in the summer months when I don’t feel like heating up with kitchen with the stove or oven. These Smothered Pork Chops are a one pot dish that’s perfect for busy nights when we’re short on time but still want a homemade dinner that’s quick and easy.
Boneless pork chops can be a challenge. They are a great source of protein but often come out dry or bland. This Instant Pot recipe creates moist, tender chops in a short amount of time. And smothering them with creamy mushroom gravy is comfort food at its finest. These chops are wonderful served over mashed cauliflower with a green veggie for the ultimate comfort meal.
One important thing to note is this recipe does not require any additional liquid to be added to the Instant Pot base. The onions, mushrooms and pork release enough liquid to bring the pot up to pressure and seal the vent. The amount of liquid released during cooking is also plenty to make the gravy.
Yields 4 servings of Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless pork loin chops
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 6 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup heavy whippingcream
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Mix paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl. Rinse the pork chops and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the pork chops with 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture, rubbing the seasoning into the meat. Reserve the remaining spices.
2. Heat the coconut oil in the bowl of the Instant Pot on the Saute setting. Brown the pork chops in the hot coconut oil, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the pork chops to a plate and turn off the Instant Pot.
3. Add the sliced onions to pot base and then the mushrooms. Top with the browned pork chops. Add the lid to Instant Pot, making sure the vent is sealed. Cook on the Manual High setting for 25 minutes. Once cooked the pressure can be released naturally or manually. Remove the pot lid and place just the pork chops on a serving plate.
4. Press the Saute setting again and whisk the remaining spice mixture, butter, and heavy cream into the hot liquid. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum into the liquid and whisk in immediately. Let the gravy simmer for 3-5 minutes until the butter is melted and the sauce starts to thicken. Turn off the Pot. Start with ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum and add additional until the gravy thickens to your desired consistency. More may be needed depending on how much juice the meat and vegetables release during cooking. Also note the gravy will continue to thicken as it cools.
5. Top the pork chops with the onion and mushroom gravy. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
This makes a total of 4 servings of Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops. Each serving comes out to be 481.25 Calories, 32.61g Fats, 4.06g Net Carbs, and 39.59g Protein.
|Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|4 (6 ounce) boneless pork loin chops||1054||47.19||0||0||0||146.54|
|1 tablespoon paprika||19||0.88||3.67||2.4||1.27||0.96|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder||10||0.02||2.25||0.3||1.95||0.51|
|1 teaspoon onion powder||8||0.02||1.9||0.4||0.5||0.25|
|1 teaspoon black pepper||6||0.07||1.47||0.6||0.87||0.24|
|¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper||1||0.08||0.25||0.1||0.15||0.05|
|2 tablespoons coconut oil||243||26.94||0||0||0||0|
|½ medium onion, sliced||22||0.06||5.14||0.9||4.24||0.61|
|6 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms||49||0.99||7.55||3.7||3.85||5.58|
|1 tablespoon butter||102||11.2||0.01||0||0.01||0.12|
|½ cup heavy cream||405||42.94||3.26||0||3.26||3.38|
|½ teaspoon xanthan gum||5||0||1.16||1.16||0||0|
|1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley||1||0.03||0.24||0.1||0.15||0.11|
Recipe by ruled.me